37 Ways to Have Fun Without Expending Much Energy (or money)!
Within the first few weeks of the Association’s Facebook page debut, Sharon, one of our fans, asked fellow fans for low-energy entertainment ideas. She compiled a list of the ideas she received from others, and we’ve added some additional suggestions that were posted when Sharon published her list on Facebook.
Sharon’s List of Ways to Have Fun:
1. Place birdfeeders in your backyard.
2. Plant a butterfly garden.
4. Go to a local nature preserve.
5. Walk in the park or in a shopping mall. (Walk, don’t shop.)
6. Do volunteer work.
7. Help others with CFIDS via internet or phone.
8. Google “Crochet Stitches” to find youtube.com videos, and teach yourself how to crochet. Teach yourself “Tunisian Crochet” with the help of youtube.com.
9. Do cross stitching.
10. Play online poker.
11. Refinish Furniture found via CraigsList.com. (Work in 15 minute increments.)
12. Make personalized t-shirts using t-shirt transfers from Walmart.
13. Do what you enjoyed doing before the illness, but cut it down into manageable chunks.
14. Read books, when able.
15. Surf the web; play on the internet.
16. Watch movies on DVD.
17. Go water walking in a local indoor pool.
18. Play dominoes.
19. Play cards.
20. Read interior design magazines that have a lot of pictures.
21. Paint or color.
22. Do Scrapbooking.
23. Talk on the phone for short periods of time.
24. Create a Dream Book. Include pictures that represent the kind of life you want to have.
25. If you are single, plan your wedding (even if you are not engaged). Go to websites such as TheKnot.com, GetMarried.com, Chapels.com, DavidsBridal.com, BridalGuide.com, WeddingsBeautiful.com, Brides.com, and MarthaStewartWeddings.com.
I lived to travel before; now I armchair travel. I focus on one place, get maps out, read fiction and non-fiction about the place and watch movies that take place there. (KF)
I like working on a 1000-piece puzzle. Throw in a bowl of popcorn and it's the perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon. (RS)
I have software to make slide shows of family and family events. I love going through pictures and putting it all together with music and transitions and I feel like I'm doing something useful. In fact, anything that is creative seems to be therapeutic and calming. (JT)
I enjoy lying in bed with my one-year-old granddaughter and watching her favorite Baby Einstein video. When it's over we nap together. There’s nothing better than little feet in your face and a sweet little voice babbling when you wake up. (LVW)
I've found the bird feeding to be a special delight. Over the years, it seems like the cardinal families have become friends. Because I feed year round, they stay. I have three couples and the fun of watching them teach their young ones each summer. It's brought much joy to my days! (SK)
I make candles when I am feeling up to it. (SFF)
If you can't read, try books on tape or have a friend read to you. (KC)
Oil paint, pastel paint, and when I'm finished I paint some more. It's very therapeutic. (CG)
I sell my kids' used clothes on eBay. I can watch TV at the same time, and it helps me to feel more useful!!! (RSB)
Write a love letter to someone special, if able. (JM)
I do rubberstamping making cards, note cards, stationary and the like. (CF)
Play table tennis. (DM)
CFIDSLink is offered free-of-charge to anyone who requests it. Please help us continue being able to provide this service. Donate now.